Saturday, July 23, 2011

Ready, Set, Action (Universal Studios)

YAY - With lickety split speed I was finally able to upload pictures! As with the last post the photos are first and some detail follows.

Filming today: Prime Suspect, Parenthood & Desperate Housewives. We went past the set of Desperate Housewives and it didn't look like much was going on despite the number of vehicles in front of the houses. I'm not familiar with the show so some 'celeb' could have walked past me and I would have been none the wiser - is Terry Hatcher in that one?

Katie and I saw a great SHREK 4D show too



When we did our backlot tour (WAY COOL - and worth the 70 minute wait in line), we drove through this "Stage". We were told that it was going to be used for filming yet that day... this is the view on my side, at least for a couple seconds.
Then this. We were warned that we might get wet - considering the force of this water I came out with just a few drips on me. Meanwhile on the other side of the tram vehicles which had been hidden in the ceiling of the stage began dropping and igniting into flame or sliding sideways toward us. Anyone know what movie that was from? Let me know - it's familiar to me but I can't recall.





Other things we saw on our backlot tour was an amazing KING KONG 3D show - again we drove into a 'stage' and the show began all around us. Our tram rocked too. Very convincing. We passed by the Bates Hotel (Psycho) and as we slowed in front of it noticed an older car parked in front of an open hotel door. A man came out carrying a body which he deposited into the trunk - then he noticed us. The lady doing our tour made a big deal about us taking a bunch of pictures as they'd need them for Americas Most Wanted etc... the guy took a knife out of his pocket and started running at the last car. Thankfully we were in the 2nd of the 4 cars - I managed to muster a 'nanananananaaaaaa'.





We also saw the square where Back To the Future 'landed', where the clock tower was and where Michael J Fox and his girl went for sodas. The last set I can remember is Who-ville from How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Jaws also made an appearance quite dramatically on my side of the tram.



The girls with Curious George.









And with Scooby, Shaggy and Daphne.





It was another warm day but the girls found a great way to cool off. Universal Studios has large fans blowing mistlike water into crowds all over the place.



Katies' lunch - a turkey leg. A little tough on the outside but good on the inside. She figured this thing weighed a couple pounds!



We LOVED the Waterworld show. See the guy near the top on the right falling and another in about the middle of the picture?

There were many seats with a sign that said "SOAK ZONE" (see Sea World post if you need a refresher) so we decided that we'd stay clear of there. Good thing too - it wasn't just that the show itself might get you wet but the characters involved in the show but killing time before it began took super soakers and buckets of water and would go into the audience of those areas and well, you'd get soaked all right.


The characters in this show were all from different programs currently on air. Such as General Hospital, Hawaii 5-0... can't remember the others.

Here's the view we were treated to when we walked through the gate and onto the red carpet as we exited from Universal Studios.



- - - - - - - - - -



Good Saturday morning to you! I woke this morning to the sounds of whistles being blown; like those used at sporting events. Our campground is in a hispanic neighborhood and I'd noticed that each night many people would go to the sports field across the street to play soccer. It would seem that today is a special clinic or perhaps a game - I haven't been out yet.

Yesterday we went to LA and did Universal Studios. LA is not a City that we would live in unless we lived close to work. The freeways are very busy despite their 3-5 lanes in each direction (there were 7-8 lanes on the I-15 through Vegas).

Oh, when we were at Bryce Canyon a few people told me that it's better than the Grand Canyon because you can easily get to the bottom of it and see everything from that angle. The GC is simply put, deeper (1 mile!), but otherwise the same idea. I just thought I'd pass that on in case you were planning on coming this way and had a limited amount of time. I'll be able to give you my opinion once we've been to GC too.

No comments: