Sunday, July 29, 2012

Southern Ontario

Again, our apologies in not posting more often.  The campground we've been at x 6 nights charges for wifi and since our Iphones are self capable we've not bothered to request their service.
We left Illinois and drove through Chicago on our way to Durand, Michigan.  An impressive skyline for sure but I sure wouldn't want to have to drive those roads on a daily basis.  I'd have time to knit a sweater in the time it would take me to drive from one side to the other - and I don't knit so that's not saying a lot!  We spent one night in Durand, Michigan, backed onto a swimming/fishing lake.  The girls fed fish out of their hands.  Another highlight was the peanut butter and chocolate Bugels.  Yup, those Americans are sure capable of creating yummy snacks.
We arrived in Milton, Ontario last Monday and have been busy since.  (Oh, Lake Huron is BEAUTIFUL from the bridge over it which takes you to customs on either side of the border.  If I didn't know otherwise I'd think I'd crossed the Ocean to someplace tropical.) 
We spent a day at Niagara Falls (both the falls and the town), as well as a drivethru Niagara-on-the-Lake.  It's amazing how many wineries are in this area - I think I spotted 13 of them on the map. 
Another afternoon/evening we had supper with Scott's Uncle Blair and Auntie Anna and their kids, Daniel and Samantha, in Mississauga.  We had a good visit and it was neat to introduce the girls to their 2nd cousins. Emily and Sam are only 3 weeks apart in age but when they last played together Emily was only 17 months old.  Katie was 'on the inside' when we were last together.
Another day we dropped Roxy off with Aunt Mary (Toronto) where she puppy-sat for the day allowing us the opportunity to be away from the trailer longer.  We went to Casa Loma (a massive castle in Toronto - ahem... 39 bathrooms?!?  If you're not familiar with it please google it), and the CN Tower.  Okay, many people are impressed with the view from the Tower but I gotta say that while the view was available, I had no idea what I was viewing other than "City" or "Lake Ontario".  There weren't any signs letting me know what so many spectacular buildings were.  Oh well, no need to return.  We returned to Marys for a visit, supper and fresh baked cookies (and a care package!).
We had a very special visit with Grammee on Friday.  She is such a beautiful lady and one we all love catching up with. 
Yesterday we went to Waterloo to Scott's Uncle Ron and Auntie Dianne's.  We chilled there for about an hour before heading to St. Jacobs for their market.  YUM!  If I lived close to this place I'd be there every week for sure (they're market runs Saturday, Tuesday and Thursday and is HUGE).  Feel free to google that place too.  Oh, it's a mennonite community - as in horse drawn carriages complete with lanterns, as in homes without electricity (no computers, telephones or tvs), as in living off of the land and making what you need (from furniture to clothes to food etc).  From the market Dianne and I 'hit the town' of St Jacobs and visited some unique shops while Scott, Ron and the girls headed back to Waterloo.  We returned to Ron and Dianne's home for a BBQ complete with fresh veggies bought that day at the market.  It was all so yummy!  Shortly before we needed to leave, Dana and her boyfriend, and Kyle and his girlfriend, stopped by.  I'm so glad we had the chance to see/meet them all. 
Today we were back in Mississauga for some shopping.  We found a few good deals but honestly, with the extra tax (13% harmonized) you have to weigh the purchase carefully.
Scott and the girls have been in the market for the new Nexus tablet.  They too are hard to find but no doubt the search will continue.  Perhaps by the time we return home they'll be some in stock there and we can avoid all the other Provincial taxes.
I'll apologize again for not writing more often but now I'm more frustrated that I can't figure out how to add photos.  I think I've taken close to 700 so far and that doesn't include those with our Iphones. 
We leave here on Wednesday as we head for Dwight Ontario, near Huntsville and therefore in the Muskoka area of Ontario.  Those 5 days are all about relaxing while we'll throw in a bit sight seeing. 
Thanks for your continued prayers.  We trust you're all doing well.

No comments: